Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A classic York County trout stream

  My dad and I played hooky today. He took off work so we could set up a pool, that pool never made it up. Instead he showed up at my house a little after 7 am. It was raining and a miserable day to anyone who isn't a trout fisherman. It took all but a minute to make the decision to go ahead and put my stuff in the bed of his truck.

  I knew it was going to be a great day before we ever even made it to the trout stream. We went to a tiny creek and kicked our own minnows up, red fins are the prize. We kicked a ton up in no time. We even caught a fingerling brookie. It was awesome to see one that small thriving in a small creek like that. We of course tossed him in as soon as we identified it. So, sorry, no pics..

  We got to one of my favorite streams in all of Pa. It was empty, no one except us. Just the way we like it. I got my stuff on, line rigged up, and we were out. It was a long haul in, the grass was taller than we are, but we got there. We started out slow. I caught 3 rock bass right way, my dad trailed with two. Getting up to a nice, deep hole, I threw in a red fin, let it drift, and BAM! I got the first strike. It was a decent brown. The hit was on. A few minutes later, Dad was up a few yards ahead of me, and I knew right away he had a nice one on. Sure enough, it was a great looking Rainbow, the Pink in it was great.

 My dad has a way about him. He jokes the whole time we fish, makes it even more fun. But man can he fish. We fished for a few more hours, I caught 10, and he caught 7. We released all the trout we caught, as is the usual. But we had a great time doing it in a classic Pa stream. The weather was perfect, the water was June water, low and warm. But we still made out. all my Pop kept saying was, "Seventeen trout, June 28th... Wow." What a fantastic day.


























Sorry about all the pics, but I figured a fellow trout man would appreciate them.

2 comments:

  1. Great fish!! Looks like you had a blast! I enjoy your blog, you got a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dustin, Im glad you enjoy my blog. Oh, and thanks for the follow.

    ReplyDelete